Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pumpkin Roll and a Patriot

What an action packed day!  Hannah and I made our Premiere Pumpkin Roll for dessert tonight and I finished my 12th Patriot block.  I have always wanted to make a Pumpkin Roll but I thought they were too difficult.  My fearless daughter said, "Mom...this will be so fun...we can sooooo do this".  Oh la la and did we have fun!  Before we can eat the roll we MUST have FULL documentation.  Leah is on the left and Hannah on the right and Steve is getting out the ice cream.



We each had a slice and there's more for tomorrow. 

This block honors Polly Cooper, the housekeeper and cook for General George Washington.  She was from the Oneida Indian tribe who taught Washington's starving army how to use corn for nutritional and medicinal purposes during the winter of 1777-1778.  I'm sure she saved countless soldier's lives.  She refused to accept payment so instead Congress presented her with a beautiful shawl as a gift from the United States.  
As beautiful as this block is, I wonder what her shawl looked like.  Here is a link for a picture of the shawl...it is beautiful!

Let me know what you are working on!

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker



No comments: