Saturday, January 14, 2012

Center Medallion Block for Patriot Quilt - TaDa!

It is really finished - and it is a beauty!  It's hard to notice the beautiful lemony roses in the background fabric in the very outside of this block.  I love yellow roses!  There will be 4 large blocks (in this fabric) surrounding this center medallion block in the quilt.  The green is a directional fabric that took some fuss'in over before I could sew the entire block together.
This block honors Martha Washington, General Washington's wife.  I didn't realize she made several trips a year to see her husband and the troops.  She was a gracious celebrity during wartime.  She never refused to stay a little longer when she was invited to share at Ladies Teas.  She walked with her husband among the troops to offer words of encouragement and hope.  It is only fitting that this block should be named in her honor and stands out among the rest as 24 inches square compared to the others that are 10 inches square.

Well, it is on to the Log Cabin inner border! Last night, when I was studying the directions, I noticed 2 out 3 dark-side fabrics are directional prints.  Another inspiring challenge for these 20 blocks!  This quilt makes me chuckle as I often ask myself, "would I have taken this challenge if I knew there were so many directional fabrics?" - that is yet to be determined.

Let me know what you are working on!

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker

1 comment: