Saturday, January 7, 2012

Patriot in Petticoats 15 & 16

                    I woke up this morning determined to sew and not buy any more yarn or fabric until I finished some projects.  It was a beautiful day, high 40's and sunny, a good day to shop.  I had a great breakfast and promptly went downstairs to my sewing room.  Today, I completed all the individual blocks for my Patriot quilt and I'm in awe of 16 blocks.  Each one was just a little more challenging and block 16 was no exception.  I really tried to get each detail in line, but two little spots couldn't be helped.  I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have piecing them!
Here is Block 15 and 16...

Block 15 honors Mercy Otis Warren, an American writer and playwright.  She was America's first female playwright and wrote strong anti-British and anti-Loyalist propaganda plays.  I loved this quote taken from a letter to one of her friends, " America stands armed with resolution and virtue; but she still recoils at the idea of drawing the sword against the nation from whence she derived her origin.  Yet Britain, like an unnatural parent, is ready to plunge her dagger into the bosom of her affectionate offspring".  Wow, I love her word pictures!
Block 15 - Mercy Otis Warren


Block 16 honors Hannah Arnett, who is buried in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  In December, 1776, her husband and local friends were gathered in their home deciding between loyalty to Britain or America.  Hannah was so upset she burst into the room and started screaming "traitors and cowards"!  Her husband made her leave, but she would not stop!  She continued to berate them and assured them she would leave Isaac if he deserted the American cause.  Stung by her persistent passion, the men reconsidered and refused the British offer of "protection of life and property".  Now that's what I cause a persuasive woman! 

Block 16
These blocks have been a wonderful learning experience.  I have been challenged to re-think my piecing skills.  After previewing the center medallion block I'm anxious to jump in and start piecing.  It's a large block with an eight-pointed star in the center.  I looked at the log cabin blocks and don't you know,,,two of the fabrics are directional!  It's going to be quite a challenge to match the directional prints with the blocks going completely around the inside of the quilt.  I wish I were not such a perfectionist when it comes to piecing my work.

Late this afternoon, Leah and I went to visit an Alpaca Farm, "Stewart Heritage Farm", a few miles from our home.  The owner was very hospitable and allowed Leah to take pictures of her beautiful Alpaca's.  I couldn't resist buying some yarn to bring home.  When I told Brenda, the owner, I was a Quilter, she showed me "alpaca quilt batting for a full size and crib size quilt".  I was so impressed!!  She is going to send me price information.  Her yarn colors are beautiful and now I wish I had bought a skein of brown and a skein of cinnamon brown.  I have an incredibly hard time resisting local alpaca yarn.  When I was in high-school a German woman taught me how to do hairpin lace.  I made an afghan that I continue to sleep under every night.  Perhaps I should consider making a scarf with hairpin lace - I could do a two-color scarf with hairpin lace.  I wish I could find other interesting patterns in hairpin lace.  

What a blessing to be creative!  What a blessing to love the work of your hands!  What a joy to share it with others and to bless them!

Enjoy the work of your hands!

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker





2 comments:

Helen said...

would love to hear more about the Alpaca quilt batting. I'm sure my sister would be very interested, her being a agent for Alpaca products in northern Europe. As a quilter I would love to hear more too :) Enjoy piecing. Helen

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've never heard of alpaca batting - how interesting!

Your blocks are beautiful! You're piecing is truly delightful!