Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My First Showing

When my Pastor's Wife learned I was published in AQ Magazine, she asked me if I would like to share some of my quilts on the Artist's Wall at our church.  I smiled and agreed to the request.  I spent several days sewing bindings on quilts I had procrastinated on and several days sewing hanging sleeves to each quilt.  I was ready to meet with Robb and Mary Ellen this past Saturday and here they are!!
This is my Star Watch quilt just down from the others.  It's BIG!


From left to right and top to bottom:  Hexie, recently published in AQ Magazine, Autumn Stars, a Thimbleberries pattern; Aussie Charms, my own design with Australian charms a friend brought back from her trip to Sydney, Australia; Patriots in Petticoats, shown in Paducah; Fractured Bargello and Contemporary Bargello.  


On Sunday morning I stood against the opposite wall to hear the comments as people walked by.  You can't see it from this angle, but there is a framed copy of my Bio information with a small picture.  My husband and daughter were with me, but we spread out.  I wanted to know what people thought.  One woman looked at them, raised her shoulders and said, "oh...that is just sooo much work!", and quickly walked away.  Several others smiled, walked up close and studied the fabric and quilting.  Some looked around and exchanged some kind words.  Then a family walked up, stared intently at the quilts, read my bio and turned to look right at me, pointed their finger and almost shouted,  "You are the Creator!  You did all of these!  These are stunning!"  Then the  conversations started and it was heartwarming!  

The other unplanned, interesting detail is they are all quilted by my Quilter, Mike Barber from Cozy Cabin Quilts in St. Mary's Ohio.  These quilts span 20 years and I am thankful Mike has brought out the best in several older quilts.  My goal was they would appeal to a broad audience.

They will hang for the month of January and I hope many in my church will walk by and enjoy them.  Seeing them hang makes me smile every time.  Their perception is overwhelming when I see them together on the wall.  I'm still so amazed that God would trust me with this gift and grateful I can make them by His grace.  

Have a good January!

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Elaine
Love the pictures of your quilts hanging. Beautiful work.
I am trying to finnish the Patriots in Petticoats quilt.
The quilt shop I bought it from sadly closed. Thankfully I received all the material. I did not get the last instructions on the ribbon border. It would be a great blessing if I could get them from you? I just do not think I can figure out the measurements of the pieces in the four corner stars and ribbons on my own.
Here is my email ndbennett12@yahoo.com
Truly thankful,
Tammy Bennett