Sunday, September 18, 2011

Patriot's in Petticoat's Block #3

I'm so thankful I signed up for Patriot's in Petticoat's block of the month.  I'm so happy to work on each block with beautiful fabric!  Each block takes me to a higher level of accuracy in cutting, piecing and pressing.  My comfort zone is expanding and I feel like my skills are growing with each new block.  The directions have been helpful and I usually have just a smidgen of leftover fabric when the block is completed.
Block #3:  Margaret Cochran Corbin
Margaret's block has been a challenge in the realm of pressing.  I'm learning to finger-press as I piece and consider how the next segment will attach before pressing a whole section.  This block came together as a 9-patch, but pressing was a little touchy.  Piecing has been easy - 10 squares for a 10 inch block, so every segment is 1 1/2 inches.  A few corners are slightly off, but overall...I look at it in awe! 

I've started Block #4 and it's a beauty, but the piecing is in the 1/8th inch increments.  It has 6 sections across that must finish to a 10 inch block.  Last night I was cutting out the pieces and reminding my self, "think twice, cut once, think twice, cut one, no oopsies"!

It would be so so fun sitting around a table with a group of ladies, working on each block together.  How I miss that inspiring camaraderie!  Hopefully a few more followers will drop in and we can chat about what they are working on.

Thanks for stopping by,

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker



2 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's a beautiful block and you've done very well with it! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing more blocks and how it all comes together to make a quilt.

Helen said...

Isn't that a beauty? It might be lonely working on this by yourself, but I'm sure some people will leave a comment to encourage to keep going. Can't wait to view your next block :)