Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paducah:  Honored, Blessed, Humbled and Overwhelmed by Kindness

     I came home from work later than usual last Thursday.  My daughter told me the envelop I had been waiting for was on the kitchen table, but I had to finish a complex problem at work first.  When I walked in the door, there is was...bigger than I anticipated. 
     I was told by two women, it will be the most beautiful rejection letter you ever receive...it's so good, you still want to make another quilt and try again.  They also said, "or it will be the biggest surprise you could never imagine".  I braced myself and carefully open the envelope and tipped it so it could carefully slide out.  However, the first thing that slid out was Contestant Guide and I went into shock.  The next thing I read was "CONGRATULATIONS!"  I looked up at my daughter, "I got in...I got in, Mom's Quilt is going to Paducah..."  I started crying and I read it again.

      Well, one person knew how to be excited, Leah, my daughter was jumping up and down, "she did it...Hallelujah...Dad called it...she's going to Paducah!!"  Leah stops spinning long enough to give me a hug, followed by my sweet hubby.  It truly was the biggest surprise I could never have imagined.
     My first phone call went to Jenn to tell her and she was over-the-top, ecstatic!!  She quickly reminded me how proud my Mom must be and how big her smile must be shining down from heaven.  I'm blessed beyond measure.  She promised she would be there with me every second in Paducah.
     I called several other friends and we have been having the "happy-quilty-dance"!  Friday morning, I caught Rebecca at home. I think she started dancing around her kitchen when I gave her the news!  I never would have entered the contest if she had not insisted.  I'm so excited for Mike and honored to have him recognized. He is an exceptionally talented quilter and breathes life into every quilt he touches! 

     Everytime I look at this picture, I am so humbled by God's kindness.  I still look at the picture and marvel.  The Awards  Presentation is held 7 weeks from tonight!  What a privilege to be in the company of men and women I have been inspired by for these 28 years.  I am deeply humbled "Patriots in Petticoats", affectionately also known as "Mom's Quilt" will hang in Paducah.  This is the greatest honor I could ever imagine!
     Jenn and I will be taking pictures at Paducah in 7 weeks! 
 
Stay tuned!
 
Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker










No comments: