Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th! Happy Specialty Ruler's!

I spent my afternoon getting comfortable with my new Half-Square specialty ruler's from Kaye England.  After watching her video "More...Smart Piecing Technique's DVD" and re-learning I'm so smitten, I'm blushing and gushing!  I made the center block in traditional quilting and I made the outside blocks (yes, I know I still have a bit more to cut) with her Half-Square ruler.  I would have finished it, but I ran out of background fabric.  Kaye predicted you would use ALOT more fabric using traditional quilting and I proved it!  I'm praying my fabric shop will still have this lovely Bernetex fabric.  I had planned on using it in 3 of the sampler blocks that go around this stunning medallion block.

What I love about her ruler's is I cut according to height and use the specialty ruler to cut the half square triangle...there are lots and lots.  I had previously cut the fabric with traditional methods and trimmed it up with my specialty ruler.  The flying geese inside flying geese came out more accurate than the center block.  I'm jumping for joy that everything lines up perfectly and no more trimming up my squares!  Oh happy day!



We are off to play with sparkler's!  Our family tradition on the 4th!

Thanks for stopping by!

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker

1 comment:

Helen said...

what a beautiful block. Must check out the ruler thing :) Hope you had a happy 'independence day'.