Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Patriot Ladies Arrived

I told you when I was visiting Caroline's Cottage Cottons Quilt Shop in Rome City, IN, I saw the most stunning American Revolution reproduction quilt called "Patriot's in Petticoats".  Caroline had several blocks pinned to the wall next to the cutting area.  They held my attention for a good 10 minutes until she interrupted my thoughts with "I'll be happy to mail blocks to you so you could join our block-of-the-month club".  I couldn't stop thinking about the rich colors and the intricate pieces.  Caroline signed me up the following week and I've been eagerly awaiting their arrival. 

On Saturday noontime, I was going to walk out to the mailbox, grab the mail and come back to start lunch.  However, to my surprise, when I opened the mailbox, there it lay...my bulging envelope with the first seven packets of pattern's and fabric!  When my husband heard me shouting, "They came! They came!  Caroline surprised me and they're here!  You HAVE TO SEEEE them!", he just looked at me, grinned and started fixing lunch.  I told you he supported my quilting habit.  I stood for 30 minutes hopping from one envelop to the next, holding the fabric and reading the brief summary of each Patriot. 




Saturday evening, I cut out the fabric for Debra Samson, the first block, and this afternoon I pieced it.  The fabric colors are rich and the designs bold.  It's hard to grasp the splendor in these small inch and a quarter finished squares.  The background is more tan than yellow.  These fabrics made by Windham Fabrics are a little piece of heaven to sew with!  Caroline sent me January through July, so I have lots to work on!  I don't think I will be caught up by August, but I'm committed to the task.  The only piecemaking changes I would have done on this block is made the blue flying geese, one big geese and put the brown/gold flying geese inside it.  I would have saved 4 seams and it would have looked more unified. 



So now I have two large quilts to work on over the summer and into the fall!  Is that even possible?  Can I seriously go between two incredible designer's and make blocks for the rest of the year?  Sound's like a wonderful problem to work through!  Oh joy and delight of my heart!!  This is a wonderful journey of commitment and diligence. 

I hope you will visit again to see my progress.

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker

2 comments:

Helen said...

I agree, this is indeed a wonderful journey of commitment and diligence. I also love & admire your new project, the American Revolution reproduction quilt "Patriot's in Petticoats". Searched the web to see if I could join :) It looks like a great shop to visit, this is the link: http://www.carolinescottagecottons.com/. Sadly, the shop is a little far away for a visit :(

Jackie's Stitches said...

You did a great job piecing this block!