Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Huggable Sewing Room

There are somethings I want to just HUG in my sewing room.  The first one would be my 930 Bernina sewing machine.  It was my Mom's and it has many happy memories attached.  My machine will sew on anything and has done everything I have ever asked.  I've worked on delicate lace to heavy denim and cording all in the same day with the greatest of ease.  I have probably made over 60 quilts and some other pretty amazing articles.  As I'm sewing on my Bernia it's always delightful to sit, pray, dream, sing, work, listen to CD's, watch a little TV on a tiny portable, create and smile.  It will always be one of my pals. 

The second item I would hug is my ironing table, as seen in my pictures.  It makes me smile and give a whole-hearted "ahhhh" every time I step into my room.  The first time I visited Cozy Cabin Quilt Shop in St. Mary's, Ohio I was smitten.  I remember Art, a dear friend of the Shop Owner, thumping his fingers on the board and telling me this was a necessity for every sewing room!  I give a hearty, AMEN!  Each ironing table is made individually for under $50.  It stretches out a whopping 72 inches by 24 inches wide. I can iron at one end, cut in the middle and toss to the other end.  The best part is if you need to iron a whole width of fabric, there is PLENTY of room to spare.   I am tickled to pieces with the extra work space it provides!!  Two years ago my family asked me what I wanted for Christmas and this was perfect.  I cannot recommend my ironing table strongly enough, nor have I seen a better one.  I'm head-over-heels happy with my ironing table, it's positively perfect in every respect!  I can't imaging sewing without it.



I'm thankful my Bernina sits in front of a window overlooking our front yard.  I have eyelet curtains in the window that I saved from our home in Pennsylvania...they make me smile too.  This year I replaced a short landscaping wall and planted some perenials to improve the view for next year.  Next spring and summer I'll have an even more beautiful view! 

On the 6 inch shelf that runs along 2 walls of the room I like to display little happy things like my Koala bear from when I lived in Australia, a picture of my Mom when she was young, M & M's, silly Quilting Buttons that make me grin, and homemade cards from my daughters.  I have a few "near future" patterns patiently waiting to be started that I set on the shelf.  It's my little motivation and inspiration spot.  Looks like it could use a little straightening up too :)

My sewing chest, made by a dear friend, has two big drawers with fabric and projects waiting to be finished.  I'm like so many Quilter's, always a few extra projects...waiting in the drawer's :)  I'm so thankful I have a small table that sits in the corner. My Featherweight sits underneath along with three bins of stash fabric.  My Bernina Serger, also inherited from my Mom, sits on the table and eagerly waits to clean off raw edges of finished projects.  My huggable sewing room is very compact and efficient with a few special quilts hanging on the walls.

When I'm sewing, I just want to hug the entire room!  Here, I'm a happy lady, doing what I enjoy with wonderful tools. 

The only improvement would be a new chair.  Maybe one with wheels and a seat that spins.  I could just roll alittle here, and spin alittle over that-a-way.  If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear from you :)  Maybe I'll want to hug a new chair?

Let me know what you love to hug in your sewing room!

Thanks for popping in,

Elaine
Chipper Piecemaker

2 comments:

Helen said...

A very nice & functional sewing room you have. I don't have a sewing room. I use the living room which is sometimes a hassle as I can't leave things. Sadly, converting the study is also not a option :)But one day, I would love to have a huge sewing room. Who knows, I know that dreams do sometimes come true! Enjoy yours!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a sewing room, either. I just use the back end of my living room. Someday I hope to convert an extra bedroom into a sewing room, but for now, I just have my little table. I love the information you gave about the ironing board. I could really use one of those.